The advent of drug resistant staph as a major health challenge is well documented and is now thought to be killing more people than AIDS. Staph in animals is not new but drug resistant staph in animals could further complicate complex public health problems.
There are 4 key reasons.
- Many believe that a diet that includes animals given antibiotics as a growth aid speeds up the resistance cycle in humans.
- There is a small but significant risk of cross infection during the food preperation process
- Pigs and chickens are already known to be conduits for major infections and the means by which infection agents can take on more genetic elements that will make them more harmful to humans.
- Farm and Poultry workers are often ‘superspreaders’ of such infections and may be economically vulnerable and without good access to affordable health services
This site exists therefore to document the issues of public health, business practice and personal justice that surround MRSA ST398
Latest MRSA ST398 News
- What is the origin of Livestock-associated MRSA CC398 isolates from humans without livestock contact: an epidemiological and genetic analysis.
- MRSA in Commercial Swine Herds Is Associated with Disinfectant and Zinc Usage
- What is the origin of Livestock-associated MRSA CC398 isolates from humans without livestock contact: an epidemiological and genetic analysis. - PubMed - NCBI
- Norway food safety test uncovers new pig superbug outbreaks
- Denmark slammed for 'unambitious' MRSA plan - The Local
- Antibiotic use on pig farms skyrockets worldwide | Minnesota Public Radio News
- Fatal infections caused by methicillin‐resistant Staphylococcus aureus of clonal complex 398
- MRSA Now on Four Norwegian Farms, 10 More Suspected - The Cattle Site
- Norway Confirms Further Cases of LA-MRSA in Pigs - ThePigSite.com
- The Month In Plagues: Pig MRSA Threat
- Antibiotic resistance, better vaccines change livestock practices - Capital Press
- The Economic Costs of Withdrawing Antimicrobial Growth Promoters from the Livestock Sector - Papers - OECD iLibrary
- RESISTANCE - The Film Documentary
- The Hidden Costs of Cheap Pork | One Green Planet
- The prevalence and influencing factors of MRSA carriage in people in contact with livestock: A systematic review - American Journal of Infection Control
- Swedish food giant vows action over Danish pigs - The Local
- Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA in bulk tank milk from dairy goat farms in Northern Italy.
- Diversity of antimicrobial resistance and virulence genes in methicillin-resistant non-Staphylococcus aureus staphylococci from veal calves.
- AAAS 2015: Keeping up with antibiotic resistance - Healio
- First town ordinance in county to ban manure spraying passed - Green Bay Press Gazette